Generic Name: Menthol Lozenges (MEN thol)
Brand Name: Cepacol Regular Strength, Cepacol Sore Throat, Dads Menthol Throat Drop, Flanax Cough Relief, Halls Cough Drops, ...show all 16 brand names.Ludens Throat Drops, Medikoff Drops, Medikoff Drops SF, Ricola Cherry Honey Herb, Ricola Herb, Ricola Honey Herb, Ricola Lemon Mint, Ricola Mountain Herb, Ricola Natural Herb, Ricola with Echinacea, Vicks VapoDrops
Uses of Vicks VapoDrops:
- It is used to relieve coughing.
- It is used to treat a sore throat.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Vicks VapoDrops?
- If you have an allergy to this medicine (Vicks VapoDrops) or any part of this medicine (Vicks VapoDrops).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what
signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check
to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (Vicks VapoDrops) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of
any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Vicks VapoDrops?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (Vicks VapoDrops). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), check labels closely. Some products have sugar.
- Do not use this medicine (Vicks VapoDrops) for longer than you were told by your doctor.
- When treating a very sore throat, talk with the doctor if signs last more than 2 days, or happen with fever, headache, rash, upset stomach,
or throwing up.
- Different brands of this medicine (Vicks VapoDrops) may be for use in different ages of children. Talk with the doctor before giving this medicine (Vicks VapoDrops) to a child.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this medicine (Vicks VapoDrops)
while you are pregnant.
- Tell the doctor if your child is breast-feeding a baby. You will need to talk about any risks to the baby.
How is this medicine (Vicks VapoDrops) best taken?
Use this medicine (Vicks VapoDrops) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Suck oral lozenge. Do not chew, break, or crush it. Do not swallow it whole.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take this medicine (Vicks VapoDrops) on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times this medicine (Vicks VapoDrops) is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your
doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing;
tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue,
What are some other side effects of Vicks VapoDrops?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical
help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical
advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was
taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Vicks VapoDrops?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from heat.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your
pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (Vicks VapoDrops), please talk
with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was
taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Vicks Cough Drops (menthol topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug class: topical rubefacient
- FDA Alerts (1)
Other brands: Biofreeze, Aspercreme Pain Relieving Heat Gel, Flexall, Halls Mentho-Lyptus Drops, ... +27 more
Related treatment guides
Editorial References and Review
Medically reviewed by BestRx Medical Team Last updated on 1/1/2020.
Source: Drugs.com Vicks Vapodrops