Generic Name: Methyl Salicylate and Menthol Cream and Ointment (METH il sa LIS i late & MEN thol)
Brand Name: Menthoderm, Thera-Gesic Plus
Uses of Thera-Gesic Plus:
- It is used to ease muscle and joint aches and pain.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Thera-Gesic Plus?
- If you have an allergy to methyl salicylate, menthol, NSAIDS, salicylate, aspirin, or any other part of this medicine (Thera-Gesic Plus).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what
signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If your skin is damaged or has open wounds. Do not put on damaged skin or open wounds.
- If you are taking any other NSAID.
- If you are taking a salicylate drug like aspirin.
- If you are pregnant or may be pregnant. Do not take this medicine (Thera-Gesic Plus) if you are in the third trimester of pregnancy. You may also need to avoid
this medicine (Thera-Gesic Plus) at other times during pregnancy. Talk with your doctor to see when you need to avoid taking this medicine (Thera-Gesic Plus) during pregnancy.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine (Thera-Gesic Plus).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check
to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (Thera-Gesic Plus) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of
any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Thera-Gesic Plus?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (Thera-Gesic Plus). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If you are taking aspirin to help prevent a heart attack, talk with your doctor.
- This medicine may raise the risk of heart and blood vessel problems like heart attack and stroke. These effects can be deadly. The risk may be
greater if you have heart disease or risks for heart disease. However, it can also be raised even if you do not have heart disease or risks for
heart disease. The risk can happen within the first weeks of using this medicine (Thera-Gesic Plus) and may be greater with higher doses or long-term use. Do not use
this medicine (Thera-Gesic Plus) right before or after bypass heart surgery.
- This medicine may raise the chance of severe and sometimes deadly stomach or bowel problems like ulcers or bleeding. The risk is greater in
older people, and in people who have had stomach or bowel ulcers or bleeding before. These problems may occur without warning signs.
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol.
- Use care when using on a large part of the skin. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If this medicine (Thera-Gesic Plus) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Do not give this medicine (Thera-Gesic Plus) to a child younger than 12 years old without first checking with the doctor.
- If you are 60 or older, use this medicine (Thera-Gesic Plus) with care. You could have more side effects.
- This medicine may cause harm to the unborn baby if you take it while you are pregnant. If you are pregnant or you get pregnant while taking
this medicine (Thera-Gesic Plus), call your doctor right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Thera-Gesic Plus) best taken?
Use this medicine (Thera-Gesic Plus) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take this medicine (Thera-Gesic Plus) by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- If you get this medicine (Thera-Gesic Plus) in any of these areas, rinse well with water.
- Wash your hands before and after use. Do not wash your hands after use if putting this on your hand.
- Put a thin layer on the affected skin and rub in gently.
- Put on clean, dry, healthy skin.
- Do not put on right after a shower or bath.
- Do not put on irritated skin.
- Avoid using a heating pad or other heating devices on the treated area.
- Do not bandage tightly.
- Avoid sunlight on treated area.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you use this medicine (Thera-Gesic Plus) on a regular basis, put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times this medicine (Thera-Gesic Plus) is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your
doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing;
tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue,
- Skin irritation.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds.
- Black, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Chest pain or pressure.
- Weakness on 1 side of the body, trouble speaking or thinking, change in balance, drooping on one side of the face, or blurred eyesight.
What are some other side effects of Thera-Gesic Plus?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical
help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical
advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was
taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Thera-Gesic Plus?
- Store at room temperature.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your
pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (Thera-Gesic Plus), please talk
with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was
taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Thera-Gesic Plus (menthol / methyl salicylate topical)
- Side Effects
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- Drug class: topical rubefacient
Other brands: Menthoderm
Related treatment guides
Editorial References and Review
Medically reviewed by BestRx Medical Team Last updated on 1/1/2020.
Source: Drugs.com Thera-gesic