Hydrogen Peroxide Solution
Generic Name: Hydrogen Peroxide Solution (HYE droe jen per OKS ide)
Uses of Hydrogen Peroxide Solution:
- It is used to prevent skin infections.
- It is used to help get rid of phlegm or mucus or help with a sore mouth.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Hydrogen Peroxide Solution?
For all uses of hydrogen peroxide solution:
- If you have an allergy to hydrogen peroxide solution or any part of hydrogen peroxide solution.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what
signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If a large area needs to be treated.
- If you have an animal bite or a deep puncture wound.
- If you have a very bad burn or cut.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with hydrogen peroxide solution.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check
to make sure that it is safe for you to take hydrogen peroxide solution with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of
any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Hydrogen Peroxide Solution?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take hydrogen peroxide solution. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not use longer than you have been told by the doctor.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If hydrogen peroxide solution is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using hydrogen peroxide solution
while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Hydrogen Peroxide Solution) best taken?
Use hydrogen peroxide solution as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
For other reasons:
- Do not shake.
- Hold away from face when opening.
- Keep out of your eyes.
- Clean affected part before use. Make sure to dry well.
- Put on the affected part as you have been told.
- It may be covered with a bandage or dressing.
- Let skin dry first before covering with a bandage.
- Follow how to use as you have been told by the doctor or read the package insert.
- Do not swallow hydrogen peroxide solution.
- Swish it in your mouth as long as you were told and then spit out.
- Use hydrogen peroxide solution after meals and at bedtime or as you have been told by your doctor.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your
doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing;
tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue,
- Very bad irritation where hydrogen peroxide solution is used.
What are some other side effects of Hydrogen Peroxide Solution?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical
help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Irritation where hydrogen peroxide solution is used.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical
advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was
taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Hydrogen Peroxide Solution?
- Store at room temperature.
- Keep lid tightly closed.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your
pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about hydrogen peroxide solution, please talk
with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was
taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about hydrogen peroxide topical
- Side Effects
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 10 Reviews
- Drug class: topical anti-infectives
- FDA Alerts (1)
- Hydrogen Peroxide Oral Rinse
- Hydrogen Peroxide Solution (Seborrheic Keratoses)
Other brands: Eskata, Proxacol
Related treatment guides
- Seborrheic Keratosis
- Oral and Dental Conditions
Editorial References and Review
Medically reviewed by BestRx Medical Team Last updated on 1/1/2020.
Source: Drugs.com Hydrogen Peroxide