Generic Name: Triprolidine and Phenylephrine Syrup (trye PROE li deen & fen il EF rin)
Brand Name: Histex-PE
Uses of Histex-PE:
- It is used to treat nose stuffiness.
- It is used to ease allergy signs.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Histex-PE?
- If you have an allergy to Histex-PE (triprolidine and phenylephrine syrup) or any part of Histex-PE (triprolidine and phenylephrine syrup).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what
signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have taken certain drugs for depression or Parkinson's disease in the last 14 days. This includes isocarboxazid, phenelzine,
tranylcypromine, selegiline, or rasagiline. Very high blood pressure may happen.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Histex-PE (triprolidine and phenylephrine syrup).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check
to make sure that it is safe for you to take Histex-PE (triprolidine and phenylephrine syrup) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of
any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Histex-PE?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Histex-PE (triprolidine and phenylephrine syrup). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not take more than what your doctor told you to take. Taking more than you are told may raise your chance of very bad side effects.
- Do not take Histex-PE (triprolidine and phenylephrine syrup) for longer than you were told by your doctor.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how Histex-PE (triprolidine and phenylephrine syrup) affects you.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking Histex-PE (triprolidine and phenylephrine syrup).
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Histex-PE (triprolidine and phenylephrine syrup)
while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Histex-PE) best taken?
Use Histex-PE (triprolidine and phenylephrine syrup) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with Histex-PE (triprolidine and phenylephrine syrup). If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to
measure Histex-PE (triprolidine and phenylephrine syrup).
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take Histex-PE (triprolidine and phenylephrine syrup) on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times Histex-PE (triprolidine and phenylephrine syrup) is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your
doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing;
tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue,
What are some other side effects of Histex-PE?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical
help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling nervous and excitable.
- Not able to sleep.
- Feeling sleepy.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical
advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was
taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Histex-PE?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your
pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Histex-PE (triprolidine and phenylephrine syrup), please talk
with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was
taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Histex-PE (phenylephrine / triprolidine)
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Drug class: upper respiratory combinations
Other brands: Prohist LQ
Related treatment guides
- Cold Symptoms
- Nasal Congestion
Editorial References and Review
Medically reviewed by BestRx Medical Team Last updated on 1/1/2020.
Source: Drugs.com Histex-pe