Desitin Rapid Relief
Generic Name: Zinc Oxide (zink OKS ide)
Brand Name: AmeriDerm PeriShield, Ammens Original Medicated, Ammens Shower Fresh, Balmex, Boudreaux's Butt Paste, ...show all 14 brand names.Calazime Skin Protectant, Critic-Aid Thick Moist Barrier, Desitin Maximum Strength Original, Desitin Rapid Relief, Dr. Smith's Diaper Rash, Elta Seal Moisture Barrier, PeriGuard, Pharmabase Barrier, Triple Paste
Uses of Desitin Rapid Relief:
- It is used to treat skin irritation.
- It is used to treat diaper rash.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Desitin Rapid Relief?
- If you have an allergy to zinc oxide or any other part of Desitin Rapid Relief (zinc oxide).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what
signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have a deep wound or a puncture wound.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Desitin Rapid Relief (zinc oxide).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check
to make sure that it is safe for you to take Desitin Rapid Relief (zinc oxide) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of
any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Desitin Rapid Relief?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Desitin Rapid Relief (zinc oxide). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not put on open or deep wounds, animal bites, infections, or very bad burns or cuts.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If Desitin Rapid Relief (zinc oxide) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Desitin Rapid Relief (zinc oxide)
while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Desitin Rapid Relief) best taken?
Use Desitin Rapid Relief (zinc oxide) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take Desitin Rapid Relief (zinc oxide) by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Wash your hands before and after use. Do not wash your hands after use if putting this on your hand.
- Clean affected part before use. Make sure to dry well.
- Put on affected part and rub gently.
- If you are using under a diaper, change the diaper often. Clean the affected area and allow it to dry. Use the drug with each diaper
changed, especially at bedtime.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- Many times Desitin Rapid Relief (zinc oxide) is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your
doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing;
tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue,
- Very bad skin irritation.
What are some other side effects of Desitin Rapid Relief?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical
help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical
advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was
taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Desitin Rapid Relief?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your
pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Desitin Rapid Relief (zinc oxide), please talk
with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was
taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Desitin Rapid Relief Cream (zinc oxide topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- En Español
- Drug class: miscellaneous topical agents
Other brands: Balmex, Boudreaux Butt Paste, Desitin Maximum Strength Original Paste, Triple Paste, ... +8 more
Related treatment guides
Editorial References and Review
Medically reviewed by BestRx Medical Team Last updated on 1/1/2020.
Source: Drugs.com Desitin Rapid Relief